Boots are both a wardrobe accessory and a necessity in Colorado. If you love shoes and have the budget, you probably already own multiple pairs. Rachel Lefort, a fashion stylist and consultant, recommends investing in a sleek, minimalist design if you want to project a professional image. If you’re just starting to build a boot wardrobe, here are some guidelines:
1. Ankle booties are the most fashion-forward style this year, and you’ll find them in a variety of colored leathers, suedes and synthetic materials. Embellishments include straps, studs, buckles and fringe. They’re being shown with skirts and dresses as well as with slim-cut ankle pants and skinny jeans, but keep in mind that this is a look more for weekend and party occasions than for business or serious workplaces. Short boots also visually cut your leg at the ankle, so unless you’ve got long legs, don’t assume this style will flatter.
2. Classic boots are best for a corporate environment. Look for boots with minimal styling and details. Avoid platforms, excessive hardware and other embellishments. Lefort likes a tall, sleek boot with a slim, elegant heel. Similarly, a minimally detailed ankle boot works with tailored pants.
3. Casual boots come in a variety of styles, with riding boots being the most popular design for fall. Skinny pants and leggings make a fashion statement with low-heeled boots. Riding boots also can work with long skirts for a bohemian or equestrian look, Lefort says. Short booties with a wedge or low platform; or a flat, lace-up style can be worn with corduroys, jeans, leggings and skirts. Cowboy boots are another casual option — indeed a classic — in Colorado.
4. Boots to take on winter snow and cold are another wardrobe staple, and designers and manufacturers have made them durable, weatherproof and stylish. Look for waterproof leather, traction bottoms, a warm lining like shearling and secure lacing or closures.
5. When shopping, pay attention to construction. Look for high-quality leather or suede, solid hardware and a good zipper. A boot in a classic rather than trendy style will be a good investment. There are plenty of decent synthetic leathers and boots in fabrics and other materials, just know that they might not last as long as a solid leather style.